Pulled Pork Recipe · i am a food blog (2024)

This has got to be the easiest pulled pork recipe ever. Honestly, it’s no fuss, no muss, it’s almost not even a recipe at all. I wasn’t really a big fan of pulled pork until I tasted this one. It’s pillowy soft and melts in your mouth like delicious pork cotton candy. Most of the pulled porks I’ve tried are drenched in sauce, which, while good, kind of masks the flavour of the pork. This pulled pork recipe uses only sugar and salt, so the end result is a touch salty, a tiny bit sweet and oh-so-porky.

Pulled Pork Recipe · i am a food blog (1)

This recipe is inspiredfrom one of my favourite cookbooks, Momof*cku. I dialed down the salt as I find the original recipe way too salty. You can use this pulled pork for anything. In the cookbook, they put in their ramen and kimchi stew. I’ve had in tacos, fried with rice or just on it’s own. It’s so delicious it goes with everything! Throw a hunk of meat in the oven, sit back and enjoy as your house fills up with the beautiful scent of roasting meat.

I am pork, I am pulled: I AM PULLED PORK!

Pulled Pork RecipeinspiredbyMomof*cku
serves 4-6

• 3 pound boneless pork shoulder
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar

Mix together the salt and sugar and rub all over the meat. Place in a bowl, cover and put in the fridge for at least 6 hours, but no more than 24.

Heat the oven to 250°F. Discard any liquid that has accumulated in your bowl pat the pork dry with paper towels. Put the shoulder in a roasting pan and put it in the oven and cook for 6 hours, basting with the rendered fat and pan juices every hour. Remove from the oven, cover and rest for 30 minutes.

Use two forks and pull apart the meat. Enjoy!

Pulled Pork Recipe · i am a food blog (2)

28 Comments

1. arabella says:

March 10, 2012 at 3:46 am

yummmmmm!

2. Amanda says:

March 12, 2012 at 10:19 am

What a great simple recipe and the photos look so juicy! This recipe looks too good to not give it a try myself.

3. Katia says:

March 13, 2012 at 9:28 am

oooooh what a fascinating idea…. it’s basically just a roast pork! and if you need to, add your favourite barbecue sauce! fantastic!

4. Lou says:

March 14, 2012 at 2:40 am

that cutting board is amazing!!!

5. Julie says:

March 14, 2012 at 1:18 pm

tomorrow’s dinner, looks amazing!

6. Hanna says:

April 25, 2012 at 11:32 am

Hi from Finland. My familyhas founs a new food favourite. Thanks!

7. Hanna says:

April 25, 2012 at 11:33 am

What I really meant is that my family has found a new food favourite! :-)

8. Marie says:

May 2, 2012 at 4:51 pm

That looks so easy (time consuming) but doable! Thanks for posting that. I shall try it out.

9. JP says:

June 1, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Just finished this for dinner, was delish!

10. Joycie K says:

June 4, 2012 at 9:28 pm

This was really easy and absolutely delicious. My family was in pork heaven! I will always make pork this way and give up the slow cooker. This is sooo much better. We’ve eaten the leftovers Asian-style with lettuce leaves and rice, as Mexican tacos, and with barbecue sauce in sandwiches. It’s so versatile and delicious no matter how you want to use it. I did have trouble with the brown sugar crust burning. My family decided the brown sugar took it over the top and they don’t want it since it had a beautiful crust before the brown sugar. So now it just got even easier! (And I won’t have to worry about the fire alarms.)

11. Christopher says:

January 23, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Man how simple, I really need to try this since pulled pork is such a versatile prepared meat.

I loove your cutting board

12. Maria V says:

March 27, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I’m trying your pilled pork recipe this weekend. Can’t wait to use it for tacos and sandwiches. Your photos are amazing and the pork roast looks so yummy. Can you tell that I love pork? BTW, the pig cutting board is just darling!

1. Maria V says:

March 27, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Oops…I see a typo in my comment. It should be “pulled” pork, NOT pilled. I don’t think there’s such a word. Love your blogs!

13. Candy says:

April 15, 2013 at 2:44 am

Awesome photo n cutie presentation . How did you learn the food photo taking?

14. heather says:

September 12, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Sounds lovely but at 250 here in an English cooker it would burn to a frazzle any idea what centigrade it could be cooked at

regards
    Heather

15. GregK says:

February 8, 2014 at 7:38 am

This was such a simple prep and it was just delicious. I added Garlic powder and onion powder to the ‘rub’ for added depth of flavor, also cooked for 8 hours @ 275 as I had a much larger roast. Served as carnitas/tacos and as Banh Mi. Both were well received.

16. Jacob Crim says:

March 14, 2014 at 2:54 pm

So I got bone in. How would you recommend I adjust the cook time ??

1. steph says:

March 15, 2014 at 10:24 am

Six hours should be plenty, but depending on how many pounds it is, you may want to up the temperature to 300. Let me know how it works out!

1. Jacob Crim says:

March 15, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I am trying 270 for five hours since I’m starting so late in the day. It’s only 3.4 LB.

17. Thuy Phan says:

March 17, 2015 at 6:08 pm

HI <3. I've tried so many recipes on your blog. I just want to know how much pork should I buy to serve 15 people as a taco dish. And what do you recommend for the salsa to go with it?? I also have the pickled daikon made already but just want to make the party a little bit more fun with salsa and stuffs.

1. steph says:

March 17, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Hi Thuy,

I think kimchi would be a fun addition as well as just regular salsa or salsa verde. As for how many pounds of meat – it depends on if you’re serving anything else alongside with. I’d say 1/2 pound per person is good, but it depends. If you want to have a lot just in case, I’d go for 3/4 lbs per person.

18. Keyan Kaplan says:

May 10, 2015 at 5:02 pm

STEPHANIE-
    I have a 5 pound roast and am looking forward to cooking it this way-how much time should I add to the recipe? Or can I check internal temp with a thermometer?
    Thanks

1. Stephanie Le says:

May 10, 2015 at 9:19 pm

hi! it should be fine with the 6 hour roast. at that point, it should be cooked through and tender.

Pulled Pork Recipe · i am a food blog (2024)

FAQs

What is the secret to pulled pork? ›

Apple cider vinegar: Adds a little tanginess and helps to tenderize the pork. Without it, the pork tastes flat. Adding the vinegar wakes everything up. Fish sauce or Worcestershire: Seasons our cooking liquid and adds a nice burts of umami, which makes the pulled pork even more delicious.

What is the best liquid to cook pulled pork in? ›

Transfer everything to a large slow cooker and add a splash of liquid — water is great, but so is broth, apple juice, or beer if you have them handy. Cover and cook on low until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily.

Do you cut the fat off pulled pork before cooking? ›

It's a good idea to cut away this excess fat prior to cooking, but do leave a small amount as it adds to the flavour.

What makes the best pulled pork? ›

Pork shoulder is ideal for pulling purposes. It has an optimum fat content that yields to create tender, melty meat, but it's essential you cook it slowly to allow the protein to break down properly.

What liquid keeps pulled pork moist? ›

Additionally, spray chicken broth or apple juice on the meat to prevent it from losing more moisture in the crockpot. To add a strong flavor during the process, white wine can also be sprayed.

Why do you put vinegar in pulled pork? ›

This thin, vinegar-based finishing sauce, which differs from a BBQ sauce, is the secret ingredient to kick up my smoked pulled pork. After you've pulled your pork butt, drizzle over the meat and combine. The vinegar adds contrast to the smoky flavor and cuts through the fat in the meat.

How do I get more flavor in my pulled pork? ›

We use brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, a good amount of salt & pepper, and a pinch of cayenne! Make sure you use all of the seasoning! Also, really rub it into the pulled pork, get all of the nooks and crannies!

What happens if you put too much BBQ sauce in pulled pork? ›

Namely, if you accidentally incorporate too much sauce, the flavor and texture of the pork are going to be completely overwhelmed by the sauce — meaning you'll have a soggy mess, including buns that are potentially too soaked to hold, that is also missing the complex flavors of the slow-roasted pork.

Is wet or dry rub better for pulled pork? ›

Wet rubs are fantastic when you are cooking low and slow – again, brisket and pulled pork. This allows your food to develop a unique bark and allows the sugars to caramelize instead of burn.

How long should pulled pork sit before shredding? ›

45 minutes is the sweet spot for pulled pork

The Bearded Butchers recommends a minimum rest time of 15 minutes for a six to eight-pound piece of pork, though they say 45 minutes is their sweet spot. The BBQ Host also says that 30-45 minutes is the optimum time to let the meat rest before shredding.

Do I have to brown pork shoulder before slow cooking? ›

"Browning, or caramelizing, meat before putting it into a slow cooker isn't 100 percent necessary, but it is well worth the effort for the most flavorful and full-bodied end result," he says. "The caramelized surface of the meat will lend rich flavor and color to the finished dish."

Can you overcook pulled pork in a slow cooker? ›

On low heat, cook for 8-10 hours; on high heat, cook for 5-6 hours. The pork should be fork-tender and easily shredded. Can you overcook pulled pork in a slow cooker? Yes, overcooking can lead to dry, tough meat.

What to add to pulled pork after shredding? ›

A little bit of sauce and a sprinkle of rub. Vinegar. If it's going to get eaten right away, sometimes sauce. If it's going to get vac packed, apple juice.

What temperature do you cook pulled pork in the oven? ›

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Put the pork in a roasting pan and bake for about 6 hours. Basically, roast the pork until it's falling apart and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 170 degrees F.

Why is pulled pork not pulling? ›

The congealing and hardening of fat and connective tissue will make pulling more difficult as the temperature drops. Pulling while the meat is still hot allows you to serve it with the least amount of fat that drains away and the meat that has been neatly separated from fat, tissue, and skin.

How can I make my pulled pork more tender? ›

Typically, when you make pulled pork, you'll cook it in barbeque sauce or another acidic ingredient like vinegar, citrus, or Worcestershire sauce, which work to tenderize the pork. Now think about soda like any other marinade, working to help break down the meat for pull-apart results.

How do I make sure pulled pork is tender? ›

Slow Cooker Method: Place pork in slow cooker and pour co*ke around it. Cover and cook on LOW (recommended) 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours, until pork is tender and shreds easily with a fork. Instant Pot Method: Place pork in instant pot and pour co*ke around it. Cook on Manual/High pressure for 70 minutes.

References